Wednesday, February 25, 2015

God is love. Rev Run


What's for dinner?

I hear this question typically by  10:30 am from my husband.   When I was working my answer was " oh maybe chicken marsala or coconut shrimp".  Those dinners took some thought while shopping and some decent time in the kitchen.   Times have changed kids.

Don't let this sweet face fool you


Since being laid off last month my day to day life has changed.  These days I have my 3 yr old son with me when I grocery shop( or shop anywhere)  so my " what's for dinner" answer is more like " oh I picked up a package of chicken a potato and onion".   Yup.  That's what I managed to get.

When we really grocery shop I find myself eating chips or cookies that I have let the toddler pick out so he will sit in the carriage and eat.   Awesome, now grocery shopping that was a good 1000 steps on my garmin vivofit is now + 400 cals.   
Not funny Kurt, mumma needs to keep the downward trend of weight!
HA HA MUMMA!!!

 The chicken, potato and onion was my purchase yesterday at Brant Rock Market.   My  3 yr old  was asleep so there was no way I was going to the real grocery store( I was driving my mom home so the market was my only option)   Have you ever tried to wake up a sleeping 3 yr old and drag them into the store?  If you have , like me, you will never , ever, try it again. 

Kurt we don't need orange juice..we have the one mumma made " OK MUMMA"


It was 4:30 on a Thursday.   Quick run to Target.   Toddler is in his car seat dressed like a eskimo which makes him toasty warm.  Yup.  Warm  = Sleepy.  Every parent knows the trick.  Take a tide in the car with the heat on and instant nap to be had:)    So we pull into Target, I finish my phone call, unbuckle sleeping toddler and head in.    When we hit the doors he realizes where we are and starts the meltdown.   The rubber band body.   You know the one.  You cant pick them up because they go limp, flop and arch their back.   

So cute when sleeping

Then you try the " do you want legos?" NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

" do you want cookies?"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NOOO NOOOOOOOO

Game over.  Thanks for playing.   You grab your " kicks" at least from your Shopkick app since you made it in the door and walk right back to the car with screaming toddler.    Screaming like you just kidnapped his bunny ( bunny= security toy) and tore its head off. (dowload shopkick, it rules because you get free gift cards)

Need a refresh on coupoing...go re read my coupon blog here... http://luckyladylafrance.blogspot.com/2015/01/couponing-lucky-lady-styleconsider-this.html

Finally get back in the car and by the time I put my seatbelt on he is happy and saying " home mumma!!"
Really?  Really?  Thanks dude.   You made me look like a kidnapper while sweating to death trying to scrape you off the floor not to mention out of breathe since my lungs dont work. A-w-e-s-o-m-e topped with awesome sauce.

So when my husband asks why I bought 1 stick of butter and 1 package of chicken thats why.  And when I say I'm going  to Target at 8:30 at night, thats why.  Well sorta, Target at night rules.  You can browse the clearance end caps and the holiday clearance section all by yourself.  Everyone else is home putting kids to bed.  Man, I hit that section right last week and now I wont need to buy valentines for a decade:). Nothing beats 90% off 

Just buying toner and I hear in a little voice " UH OH"

Shopping for anything is harder with a toddler in tow.  But with that said, I can still whip up a great meal from buying a pack of chicken, 1 sweet potato and 1 onion.     Here is the recipe which is  a one pot meal and amazing on a cold night( well  you add it all into one pot, you cook 2 things outside the pot)


Tri Color Quinoa with Root Veggies and pan fried chicken tenders

Saute 1 large sweet onion with 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , salt and pepper

Dice one cooked sweet potato and add to the onions

 
Mix then add  1 cup tri color quinoa, mix again

This quinoa is from good health but whole foods has one that is cheaper!

Add in 2 cups water or chicken stock with 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes


Add in 5 cut and cooked carrots
I love the color orange:)


Once done add in the pan fried chicken tendersii that were cooked with olive oil, salt and pepper.   


I must say, for 3 items purchased, I managed to make a healthy, paleo and gluten free meal without even trying. Not bad.   Not bad at all.  

Anything I can make and eat in a bowl is fantastic in my book.   I love rice, beans and chicken or rice, beans and veggies.  


My little kiwi was my appetizer.  Did you know that this little kiwi has tons of vitamin c!   ( I eat them because one medication I take I need more potassium and bananas get boring)


Maybe next time we grocery shop, Kurt  can bring his binoculars again :)

Hats off to all you moms and dads out there and anyone that brings small children to the grocery store, give yourself a high five!


Do you have a great one pot meal to share?  Simply email it to : ericalafrance@gmail.com.  
Your recipe might be shared on here!

 As Rev Run would say

"When your grateful you have no time to become mad or hateful". 
God is love.  Rev Run

( i have been soaking my legs this week and as Im soaking and writing my blog all I can think about is rev run in his bubble bath typing wicked fast on his blackberry)

Happy Hump Day!!!

Xoxoxo
Erica

My new website is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment